The KTA is looking to hire a Theatre Critic for the Performance Blog. The Theatre Critic is responsible for attending and reviewing 1-2 shows in the Kingston area per week. They will work very closely with the Editor of the Performance Blog to discuss articles, edits, and timelines.
- Attend 1-2 shows per week and/or interview 1-2 theatre artists per week
- Write articles that reflect your viewing of the show or that reflect an artist interview
- Achieve a fast turnaround for each article
- Pitch ideas for new articles including potential reviews, interviews, and opinion pieces
- Attend weekly meetings with the editor
- Some writing experience (creative writing, writing features, writing scripts, etc. are all accepted)
- Is detailed-oriented; strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to research shows, theatre companies, and artists to provide accuracy to articles
- Passion for theatre/arts and a desire to inspire community engagement with theatre in Kingston
As an independent contractor, pay will come as a stipend of $550 per month with the expectation to work 8 hours per week.
Please submit your resume (no more than two pages), cover letter (no more than one page), and a sample of a written review (no more than 4 pages). All documents are to be submitted in PDF format. The sample of a written review can be of any artistic medium; reviews of plays are preferred. Please send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit is February 3, 2023 at 11:59pm EST. The start date will be February 15, 2023.
We look forward to hearing from you!