Job Opening: Theatre Critic
The Performance Blog is a primary resource for audience members, artistic collaboration, critical dialogue, and industry contacts. Our platform consolidates events, news, artists, and organizations in the Southeastern area in an accessible and accountable manner that the region has never seen before. Led by the Editor, the writing team is looking for passionate individuals who are committed to questioning who and what criticism is FOR.
- Will produce and publish reviews, interviews, opinion pieces, and other forms of coverage on theatre/performance practice in the Kingston and Southeastern Ontario region. Content may take the form of writing, video, podcasts, etc. and will be dispersed with the support of the Kingston Theatre Alliance’s media organizational partners, both private and public.
- Achieve a fast turnaround for each article
- Pitch ideas for new articles including potential reviews, interviews, and opinion pieces
- Attend weekly meetings with the editor
- Some writing experience (creative writing, writing features, writing scripts, etc. are all accepted)
- Is detailed-oriented; strong time management and organizational skills
- Research productions, producing organizations, and individual artists to contextualize articles
- Passion for live performance and a desire to inspire community engagement with theatre in Kingston
These positions are funded through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. Applicants must be aged 15-30 years old at the start of employment. They must also be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or a person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
Dates: 30 hours weekly over 9 weeks with possibility of contract extension.
Please send a resume, creative writing sample (max. 4 pages), and cover letter to email@example.com. You are encouraged to select a writing sample that best illustrates your distinct voice and passion about performance, arts criticism, or theatrical practice in Kingston. We are looking for thinkers a willingness to learn, risk, experiment and grow. If you do not have an existing sample, you are welcome to write about a piece (play, musical, TV show, film, etc.) of your choosing. The deadline to submit is April 29, 2023 at 11:59pm EST. The start date will be June 1, 2023.
The KTA is committed to creating an inclusive and accessible application process. If we can assist you in your application or answer questions about the position or the KTA blog, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note this position is contingent on Canada Summer Jobs Funding.